Shortest post ever, as I am really supposed to be working and work is mad at the moment. I didn’t even mean to blog about these beauties, but they are too good not to share. Plus, I want to get the recipe on paper (well, a screen) while it’s still fresh in my mind.
I’ve been looking for breakfast ideas without egg and this is an absolute winner. Savoury pancakes, egg-less omelettes, Indian-spiced vegan fritters, whatever way you look at them, these are the perfect start to any day. The quantities below make breakfast (or a snack, or dinner) for one person.
50 g chickpea flour (aka gram flour)
60/70 ml water
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp garam masala
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1 clove garlic, grated
½ tsp grated ginger
generous pinch of salt
dash of lemon juice
three cherry tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
– Put chickpea flour in a bowl and whisk in a bit of the water to form a thick paste.
– Whisk in the rest of the water and let the batter rest, covered, for 30 minutes.
– After the batter’s rested, add all the other ingredients except the tomatoes and coriander and whisk to mix.
– Stir in the tomatoes and coriander.
– Heat oil in a large pan (or a small one and cook the pancakes individually).
– Using a tablespoon, make three pancake-like heaps in the pan.
– Fry until mostly dry on top.
– Flip over and cook for another two minutes. (I tend to do a last flip to crisp up both sides)
– Serve with whatever you like.